Head of the Institute of Digital Image Processing (JOANNEUM RESEARCH Forschungsgesellschaft mbH)
Head of the Institute of Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry (Graz University of Technology)
- 1979 – 1984: Master in Forest Science (Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg), including world forestry
- 1982: Training at Wattle Research Institute at Pietermaritzburg and Umfolozi National Park, South Africa
- 1985 – 1986: Ph.D scholarship at the German Aerospace Research Establishment (DLR) in Oberpfaffenhofen, theme of Ph.D: "Classification of Tree Species and Natural Age Classes by Means of Thematic Mapper Data"
- 1986 – 1990: Junior scientist at the German Aerospace Research Establishment (DLR) in Oberpfaffenhofen in the project "Forest Mapping in Bavaria by Means of Satellite Imagery"
- 1990: Ph.D. in Forest Science, University of Freiburg
- 1990 – 1994: Senior scientist at the Technical University of Berlin, Institute for Landscape Planning and Landscape Management, co-ordinator of the project "Remote Sensing and GIS in Forestry"
- since 1995: Head of the Institute of Digital Image Processing, JOANNEUM RESEARCH, Graz, Austria
- 1997: Habilitation thesis in the field of "Landscape planning, particularly Remote Sensing and Geoinformatics", TU Berlin; theme of habilitation: Monitoring of Forest Damages in the Harz Mountains and Concept for Forestry GIS
- since 2002: Professor at TU Graz, Head of Institute of Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry
- 1992 – 1996: Coordinator of ECE/FAO and UNEP GRID Working Group on "Large Area Operational Experiment for Forest Damage Monitoring in Europe"
- 1996 – 1998: Member of EU working group on "Thematic Cooperation Group on Earth Observation in Developing Countries"
- since 1997: Chairman of the working group "Satellite Cartography" of the Austrian Society of Cartography
- since 1997: Member of the Scientific Committee of the Austrian Ministry of Defence
- 1997: Evaluation GTZ-Project "Vegetation Resources Information System of Zimbabwe (VEGRIS)"
- 2000 – 2002:Key Researcher in compentence centre "Advanced Computer Vision", area "Pattern Recognition"
- since 2000: Chairman of the working group "Remote Sensing and GIS", Division 4 of the International Union of Forestry Organisations (IUFRO)
- 2002 – 2004: Head of scientific board of the competence centre "Advanced Computer Vision"
- since 2002: Member of the Austrian Geodetic Commission
- since 2007: Austrian representative of ISPRS WG VII and EARSEL
- since 2007: Member Scientific Board EURAC, Bozen
- Reviewer in International Journals, Proposal Evaluation of EU-Framework Programme, Belgian TELSAT, national funding programmes and more than 130 scientific publications